1. Local

New Breakfast Show and Radio Station Change from CP24

By March 25, 2009

According to a CTV Media press release, tomorrow will see the launch of a new breakfast show on CP24 and the launch of CP24 Radio 1050 on the AM dial.

CP24 Breakfast will be on from 5:30am to 9am with Ann Rohmer at the helm and co-hosted by Melissa Grelo and Matte Babel. The rest of the regular team will feature Cam Woolley, Mika Modolo, Steve Anthony and Nalini Sharma (who a forum visitor was trying to track down earlier). Apparently the changeover at 1050AM (currently 1050 CHUM) will happen at 5am when it becomes a 24-hour news station.

I'm not sure we really need another all-news radio station in Toronto, but the question will be if CP24 Radio 1050 can do it better - and they do have excellent coverage online and on TV. As for CP24 Breakfast, I'm curious about what kind of tone it's going to have... but not so curious that I'm going to get up at 5:30am. I think catching the tail-end will do me just fine.

Edited to add: To clear up the confusion (and comfort those who are worried they've lost the Toronto BT gang forever), you can still watch Breakfast Television Monday to Friday, 6am - 9am on CityTV (Channel 7 for standard cable, 344 for Starchoice, 214 for ExpressVU). Also, get caught up with Kevin, Dina, Jen and Frank on the BT website, http://www.bttoronto.ca.

Comments

March 26, 2009 at 11:30 am
(1) Felix says:

CTV’s constant tinkering with CP24 is annoying to say the least. CP24 which stood for Cable Pulse 24, was originally meant to be 24 hours of STEADY (hence the word Pulse) news, not “Breaking News” which is just so sensationalistic and irritating. I wrote to CTV about this and got a rather patronizing response as a result- something about how I should “leave it to the professionals to decide what was news-worthy”.

Now dropping BT and replacing it with a new breakfast show is the final straw. I will no longer watch CP24.

CTV, you’ve managed to take something that was very good and reduce it to something only marginally good and very irritating. You just don’t understand what CityTV was about do you?

March 27, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(2) Marilyn says:

Hi Felix

Wow, I’m surprised you received a response like that from CTV. Even if they weren’t planning on making any changes, I would hope they’d appreciate that you cared enough to take the time to write them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

I usually only watch CP24 in very short bursts, so I’m not as familiar as you are with the changes that have been made. As for CP24 Breakfast, I only caught a few minutes this morning, so it will still be awhile before I form an opinion. But I too enjoy Breakfast Television, so at least we can all still watch it over on CityTV. :)

April 3, 2009 at 8:20 am
(3) Darlene says:

At least Felix got a response. I also e-mailed CP24 to find out what happened to Kevin, Frankie, Jennifer and Dina. I do not like the new set up and miss the regular cast. Actually what is Ann Rohmer still doing there??????? I too am no longer a viewer of CP24. Shame on management who made this change. Anybody know where Kevin Frankish or Frankie or Jennifer are gone too? Did they just up and lose their jobs? I hope they are ok!

April 3, 2009 at 10:49 am
(4) Chris says:

I really dislike the new cp24 breakfast. I preferred the Breakfast television with Kevin and Dina and the rest of the old cast. What happened to them??? Why did it change. I refuse to watch cp24 breakfast. It is not as comfortable as the old BT…I hope they change back.

April 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(5) Marilyn says:

Hi Darlene and Chris

The BT gang is still on the air! You can still watch Breakfast Television Monday to Friday, 6am – 9am on CityTV. Depending on your provider, I think CityTV should be channel:

7 for standard cable
344 for Starchoice
214 for ExpressVU

You’ll no longer see the other info scrolling on the screen like you did on CP24, but you can absolutely get your Kevin/Dina/Jennifer/Frankie fix. :)

They’ve recently redesigned the website as well, which you can see at http://www.bttoronto.ca.

April 6, 2009 at 10:55 am
(6) Kelley says:

I am disappointed with the new format for the morning show on CP24. I find the “new guy” Matt, to be sloppy and I found it unbelievable that Mel, on Friday’s show, would chew food and talk at the same time!!!! No manners to say the least! I love Ann, Mikka, Cam and Nalini but the other three are not professional nor seasoned enough for a show of their own. Breakfast Television is THE BEST SHOW in the morning! I can not understand or fathom the thought process the executive used to replace the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! We will no longer be watching CP24 in the morning. You could NEVER replace folks like Kevin, Dina, Frankie, Jen! We get all the news, weather and sports we need from them!

April 7, 2009 at 7:02 am
(7) Anne says:

Kelley, I so agree with your observations about the new team. I find them to lack the polish and style that Kevin’s team had. Matt speaks as though he’s still doing a high school theatre arts gig with the poorest diction I’ve heard in the media in a long time. By not being the (apparently requisite) metrosexual, Kevin is his own man, suspenders and all. He could put together an articate sentence and enunciate it, too. We gave the new team a go but no longer watch.
We do miss Kevin, Frankie, and Jen at our house.

April 7, 2009 at 7:45 am
(8) Nurse says:

I agree, what were you guys thinking…..
BRING BACK KEVIN AND THE GANG

April 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm
(9) Alondra says:

I miss Keving,Dina,Jennifer. Breakfast show is not the same anymore. I stop watching the show. I don’t like it. Bring Kevin and his team back.

April 9, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(10) Janis says:

I have stopped watching CP24…the chatter is inane and inaccurate…Ann Rohmer is certainly professional and I love Nalini…Mika is a good addition, but the two new hosts are simply dreadful…I watch their mouths and it’s all yadda, yadda, yadda….and they don’t know what they are talking about…ever…they never say anything worth listening to…

April 9, 2009 at 3:23 pm
(11) Darlene says:

Why fix what isn’t broken? The grass is always greener in the other side, I understand that kind of “forward” thinking; however this is a little over the top. They need to leave well enough alone. I am certain the demographics were out the day they had their meeting…

April 10, 2009 at 9:53 am
(12) john says:

I have little to add to the comments above except to agree: The show is unwatchable, the chatter inane,Matt inarticulate and ironically full of himself.

April 13, 2009 at 10:46 am
(13) Irina says:

I was quite happy do discover that I am not the only one missing Kevin, Dina, Jen,and “uncle Frank” . I grew up with them as a new Canadian. Their personalities, excellent language and manners, topics they chose for their program – everything appealed to me as a viewer. I am very VERY disappointed that they are gone. I hope they open a new program that I can watch instead of a new Breakfast Television. Let’s bring the guys back!

April 13, 2009 at 4:42 pm
(14) Kimberley Pratt says:

Kevin Frankish, Dina Pugliese, Jennifer Valentyne, and Frank Ferragine MADE Breakfast Television. The ONLY good thing is that I now have extra time to get ready for work every morning, as I will not watch this new collection of people you put in Kevin and Dina’s place. How can management that are supposed to be in the ‘know’ put these new people on air??? Have they any training in broadcasting at all?? (if so, it doesn’t appear that way) Shame on who made this decision! As people are realizing that Kevin and Dina are not just on vacation (as I had first thought) you will continue to lose viewers – save yourself and get your old crew back!

April 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm
(15) Dave says:

Removing Kevin and the gang was an unfortunate change in programming. I now watch the traffic and read the news with the mute on and then switch to CBC.

April 13, 2009 at 8:19 pm
(16) Marilyn says:

Hi everyone

Thanks for visiting. Just to reiterate from my comment above – Kevin and the gang are still on the air! You can still watch Breakfast Television with your favourite morning crew (and they are clearly the favourite of everyone here!) Monday to Friday, 6am – 9am on CityTV itself (channel 7), which is a separate station from CP24.

So never fear – you don’t have to endure mornings without Kevin, Dina, Jen and Frank. Just find CityTV on your cable or satellite provider and you’re good to go. (Kimberley, I hope this doesn’t mean you’ll be late for work!) :)

April 14, 2009 at 5:14 pm
(17) raymond walter says:

Are you just trying to loose all your viewers
the morning show as it stands now is beyond words…crap

April 15, 2009 at 11:11 pm
(18) Kimberley Pratt says:

Thanks Marilyn!

Sure enough, I turned on CityTV and THERE THEY WERE!!! Yippeeee! I’m so happy about being able to see the gang I love…I won’t even whine about missing the scrolling news too HA!!

April 17, 2009 at 11:15 pm
(19) Kay says:

I agree with everyone that wants the old team back, the new one is really irritating, the are unprofessional and management has to realize that it’s not just Canada watching this it’s also the visitors from near and far places. We can’t be entertained by some folks who struggle to complete sentences.
I really find it hard to appreciate the news because I can’t take the news people seriously. Come on show us some respect and stop insulting our intelligence, this team needs to do much better than what I have seen if you want/need to keep your viewers.
Disappointed viewer:(

April 19, 2009 at 10:42 am
(20) Lilli Neuber says:

I don’t like the new setup, it is very irretating, and hard to follow. I miss the old crew, I loved them. Lilli

April 19, 2009 at 5:22 pm
(21) Laura says:

Glad I found this article. I have been wondering what on earth happened. Will be tuning into cable #7 tomorrow to see if I can find the BT crew.

April 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm
(22) Delaxan says:

I miss then on CP24 but they are there on channel 7. When I turn my tv on though i go to channel 24 gotta break that habbit. The CP24 Crew is VERY sloppy and they don’t have great side things like when guest come in which is dissapointing. Thats why BT is Toronto’s #1 Morning Show!!

April 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm
(23) Val says:

I really dislike the new group of people on cp24. I no longer watch it. Kevin, Dina, Jenifer and Frank are still my favorite -they made my day. Sorry to say the new crew seems far below the standard of professionalism established by Kevin Frankish and his crew.
I looked for them on other CityTV channels – (like 7)but they are not there. Can someone tell me where they have all gone and what happened? Bottom line – cp24 is dull and the hosts should go back to the kids’ shows they probably came from and take with them the ubiquitous Ann Rohmer who has been the host of every show she could get her hands on.

April 21, 2009 at 7:11 am
(24) Delaxan says:

Hey Val they are on cable channel 7 from 6 am-9 am monday-friday you should be able to catch them. Im watching it right now.

April 22, 2009 at 9:50 am
(25) Barbara Silver says:

I do not for the life of me understand what would possess management to replace the best crew in the world with this sluggish cast that are there now..bring back the old team and alot of people will return,we do not watch it anymore..as it is such a dull show.Kevin, Dina, Jenifer and Frank are still my favorite,and everyone one Iknow feels the same..I am a very unhappy viewer,as well as confused to this change!

April 22, 2009 at 10:01 am
(26) sue says:

I too am glad I googled their names and found this page. I have been waiting to find out what the heck happened. One day they were in Florida talking about Frank’s new baby then they were gone. That’s just RUDE. I just loved that morning gang, they made you smile and think. I have missed them, so glad to hear tomorrow morning I can watch them again.

April 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm
(27) Meijan says:

I am really disappointed on the change; and my morning routine is not the same anymore. Who needs to know about gossips in the entertainment 1st thing in the morning!!
I will switch to City TV; but I also don’t like that fact that I can’t keep track of time/weather at the same time I am watching BT.

April 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm
(28) Daisy says:

I miss Kevin, Dina, Jennifer and Frank. Without them, BT is not the same anymore. I stop watching the show. I don’t like it. You cant just replace the team like this – it shows no respect to us.

Bring Kevin, Dina, Jennifer and Frank back!!

April 28, 2009 at 12:23 am
(29) Pam says:

I strongly support the views everyone has about Kevin & Dina team on CP24. I have stopped watching and I’m shocked to see the choice of new team selected to anchor the programme.They are very unprofessional and not upto the standard of running such a show.I hope someone outthere is paying attention to this and bring the old team back.

April 28, 2009 at 6:52 pm
(30) Sandy says:

I think most viewers are suffering from separation anxiety and can’t handle the new demeanor of the new young hosts who want to attract like minded and younger viewers to try them on for size. I loved the old crew, but we need to expose our kids to the new kind of media that the future is bringing. And get them as excited about news as we are. My son likes the new crew where as he tuned out the old crew that I always related to and loved. We can’t forget that a younger generation is coming up right behind us and depend on quality news that will help them through their adolescent stages. For those who have kids that own an Xbox,you know what I mean!

April 29, 2009 at 10:21 am
(31) NMM says:

I was not to pleased with the Old CP24 when I watched it sometimes but this New crowd, what a load of rubbish and jibberish.
It is closer to a soap opera than a news show,
you have Grannie Ann (why she is not out to pasture I do not know)trying to keep her Grandchildren in order who had all failed English grammer at school so sometimes she calls in the former policeman who is always away somewhere to give some advice but is not to sure of what he is doing but likes the money.
this show will not suceed in the long run with this format or people so start again CP24.

April 29, 2009 at 6:32 pm
(32) Dana says:

I don’t watch CP24 BT since the “old” team is gone. Especially Matt is driving me crazy, acts like it’s his own show… When I emailed CP24 what happened to Dina, Kevin, Frank… they never answered. But now I know where to watch them. THANKS!!!
I also feel like all “white” people are being eliminated from the show!!! It was a great mix before but what’s happening now???

May 13, 2009 at 6:34 am
(33) Steve says:

Out of frustration I googled”where is Mika”. Luckily your site came up! I still see the BT gang on City CH57 or 214 on Bell ExpressView. Not happy with BT for not replying to what I expect to be many concerned viewers asking about Mika. The new guy Kevin at transit control is a nice kid and is a good choice…but Mika is a sweetheart. I was afraid CTV would screw up things. It smacks of “if you can’t beat them buy them and shut them down”. Hope they leave BT alone!!!

May 13, 2009 at 4:39 pm
(34) Don says:

Glad to find out that the “old” BT gang is still alive and working. As many of you here I was quite shocked to see how they were replaced with little to no warning.
I notice here that many (Myself included) are shocked and upset at the change and what is more, ‘who’ they were replaced with.
Part of the problem is that people generally do not like change. Especially when it comes to TV hosts. After you’ve been watching one for a while it’s like you get to know them, their personality, views, and it’s like you have accepted them into your home almost like a trusted acquaintance. You get into the routine of expecting them every morning. That’s why many TV hosts tend to stay on their jobs for many years, decades even.
The other part of the problem is if you’re going to replace someone, that person that’s coming in better be at least as good or better then the one they are replacing.
As stated Matt has a hard time stringing together a coherent sentence. Both Mel and Matt (Though Mel is a better host) neither seem ready to host a morning show.
This is not the example you want to be setting for a new generation of viewers.

May 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(35) T.O.4ver says:

I aggre with you all. The new crew does not come close to Kevin, Dina, Farnk and Jennifer. Unfortunately for Melissa, she is not going to get anywhere fast with Matte at her side. Matte needs to act more professional and needs to stop thinking that the show is called “MatteBabel24″. And Matte, just so you know, it´s quite obvious that you spend 90% of the show trying to subtlety flirt with your co-host. Melissa, join Kevin and Dina on their show, it will do wonders for your career as you have the makings of a great host.

May 26, 2009 at 8:22 am
(36) SJ in Ajax says:

THANK YOU Marilyn for letting me know where I could find Kevin, Dina, Frank and Jennifer!! I could not stand another morning of listening to the drivel that has become CP24!! The 2 hosts are terrible! One is constantly reading the notes and the other is babbling on…Good Gravey! It just goes to show you that looks aren’t everything!! There has to be more than just a beautiful
cover… I will only turn on CP24 to see the weather, possibly read the little blurbs of news and mute the rest!! I’ll be spending my mornings back with the old Gang and BT!! Thanks Again!

May 26, 2009 at 11:29 am
(37) Marilyn says:

You’re most welcome SJ :) I’m just glad that at least a few people have found their way back to the BT Gang through this post! Unlike most of you, watching a morning show isn’t part of my routine but on many days I’ll flip between a few of them. I finally caught a good portion of CP24 Breakfast and wasn’t drawn in. I guess I won’t be expanding my morning TV roster beyond Breakfast Television and Canada AM either.

June 8, 2009 at 10:29 am
(38) leesaw says:

I hate the change. It’s a bunch of horribly serious people trying to be funny, and failing miserably.

June 10, 2009 at 7:09 am
(39) Dave says:

Thanks for letting us know where we can watch the old BT gang. I was almost resigned to the drastic step of tuning in to the CBC news channel!

June 10, 2009 at 8:21 am
(40) Christie says:

I hate the new CP24 Breakfast. I have formaly switched to Channel 7 with the Kevin and Dina.

June 13, 2009 at 10:58 am
(41) Heather says:

I hadnt watched BT for a few months, after starting a new job. I turned to BT in May sometime to discover a whole new show. It sucked. I love Anne Rohmer and Nalini Sharma which they stayed with the BT crew. I love Mika too, but not enough to leave the original BT crew. I dont watch CP24 anymore, i dont like what they have done with the show and not too thrilled with their new crew. I also contacted CTV and was given a very rude response, Please explain what makes you qualified to make a comment that we have made a mistake. We staff qualified and professional individuals with years of experience whom we trust to make those changes. If you do not like the new program there are many more channels for you to watch. I wasnt going to continue watching it anyway, but all the same, how ignorant CTV is. I hope they fail, big time. City TV is the best, always has been and always will be.

June 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(42) cynthia says:

Thank goodness for this site. I was wondering what happened BT. I understand that the change was cp24′s way of trying to attract a younger audience but as a nineteen year old I have to say, it didn’t work.If I wanted to watch the morning nonsense that has taken over cp24 I would watch MTV. For example, why is there a portion on celebrity gossip now?

June 29, 2009 at 8:47 am
(43) Phil says:

The new format seems to be apealing to 14-16 year olds. I still watch it for the news blurbs and Canadian $ value – but with the volume on mute.

I can’t imagine how this new format would apeal to anyone over the age of 20. The two ‘new anchors’ remind me of highschool kids that dress up like they are going to nightclub when they are actually going to a their first job interview.

July 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm
(44) Susan says:

The new crew were slightly appealing when I thot they were standins for a vacation….but the vacation never ended. Innate senseless, useless verbage…nothing worth tuning in for. Bring back Keven and Dina. This is not a news show, it’s an ego thing going on between two very cute people…but if I want Hollywood, I’d not be watching this show to begin with. There’s no depth, none.

August 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(45) Danigula says:

I think the new guy ” Matt” does a poor job from a presentational point. Ann Rohmer who used to do breakfast tv with Kevin, suddenly stopped to do things like the 9 am news. I feel she wants to be so dominant. Look at how many shows she alone presents.She also need to change her look and stop trying to mingle with the yonger generation. The old crew are a true better representation of Toronto life. I dont have the zeal any longer to watch cp24 in the mornings as i used to.. Its totally ruined. The co host with Matt is not professional. They dont portray a good image of our city tv..

September 3, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(46) Rommel says:

I love Breakfast Television better than this new CP24 Breakfast. I love CP24 because of the weather forecast on the right side of the screen and the little news on the bottom left. These new host are not like Kevin and the gang but maybe we’ll get used to them. Matt is okay. I found him arrogant in his first weeks on the show but he melowed down and got better. Mel is alright but she laughs a lot! Ann is purely a broadcaster! But this guy that they replaced Matt with is annoying. When he was on the helicopter, I noticed that when he is conversing with the host in the studio, I can see that he really wants to be in the studio himself! Well…it became true. He’s always pouting and looks unsure of what he is saying. Just go back to the chopper man. Nalini has become a good reporter as well!

September 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(47) Kizzy says:

I watch clips of CP24 Breakfast, it is an awful show. BT on the other hand is great.

November 2, 2009 at 9:16 am
(48) Chris says:

Just glad the old foogies moved on… Kevin was too old, this new show is much better, more in tune with the younger generation! I still find it funny one day Kevins off to Disneyland, the next day he’s gone lmao….

The new people are great…. good riddance to the old mondane show

December 2, 2009 at 6:45 am
(49) Bruce Pritchard says:

Hi Keven, I live in St. Catharinrs ,Im 54 and I want to play backwards Please pick meeeeeeeeee

January 2, 2010 at 12:54 am
(50) Steve (long-term CP24 viewer) says:

I’ve been watching CP24 for years and at one point I was quite proud of my city’s CP24 and CP24breakfast television. when CTV took over, everything started changing and I didn’t get the same amazing “start-my-day” feel that I used to. first of all, I don’t think anyone on CP24 can compare to the quality performance of Ann Rohmer. She is a professional host all the way but it appears to me that the other hosts like Mel & Matt bring the shows integrity level down a bit. Maybe it’s that they were not properly trained or prepared for the position. They both have qualities that would fit particular formats but not well rounded enough to be full-spectrum morning show hosts. Steve Anthony is ok with me. His flaws are obvious but forgivable. He just seems too sarcastic and maybe a little too “witty” for an early mornig show. also, I don’t know if people noticed the same as I did but it really seemed to me like Kevin Frankish was beginning to really develop an on-air inflated ego just before he left. to me he’s good at his job but no way is he better than Ann (my personal opinion). I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong. anyone agree?…

May 13, 2010 at 7:27 am
(51) T.O. Kid says:

This new set up at CP24 is horribly unprofessional and Mika is so annoying and fake!!!