1. Local

A Fine Day for Heroics

By February 2, 2008

After bravely emerging from his warm home, Wiarton Willie didn't see his shadow this Groundhog Day, which means he's predicting an early spring. But the view outside sure doesn't look very "springy", so if you're like me and are looking to do some hibernating of your own today, there are other Canadian heroes ready to provide the online entertainment.

Team Epic is an independent production from Toronto-based Poetic Licence Productions. Existing entirely on the internet, this comedy-action series follows the adventures of classic-style superhero Captain Epic and his ad-hoc team brought together after the passing of every hero's idol, The Canadian Shield.

There are currently two forty-ish minute episodes live on the site, along with a forum and the Epic Hero Challenge, inviting you to help pick a new hero for the cast. The show is far from perfect, but with episode two already ironing out some of the rough edges from episode one, the series certainly has promise (now if they can just get from "amusing" to "laugh-out-loud funny" they should be set).

Much like watching The Border, Team Epic has the added appeal of being filmed all over Toronto. So even if you're not interested in the series as a whole, the first five minutes of episode one provides a bit of silly special-effect action at the base of the South African War Memorial at Queen and University, while episode two kicks off at the CN Tower.

Comments

February 3, 2008 at 12:21 pm
(1) Thats me says:

This is great!!!!

February 4, 2008 at 4:01 am
(2) Marilyn says:

Hi, and welcome!

So, was there anything you liked in particular? A favorite character, or moment?

I’d love to hear more from people who have seen Team Epic.

Edited for silly grammar typo — Marilyn

February 6, 2008 at 12:28 pm
(3) That's me says:

I really enjoyed the fact that the show concentrates on the human side of the characters and that the humor is derived from a very truthfull and honest place…the awkwardness of actually being a superhero in the real world..our Toronto. It’s a very Canadian position. We are not American, and do things like them…but differently.

February 7, 2008 at 2:22 pm
(4) Marilyn says:

That’s a good point about us doing things like Americans, but differently, because I think that really comes across in Captain Epic’s character. I’m pretty sure it was in the second episode that Mr. Brood was talking about how Epic was always content to let the Canadian Shield take the spotlight. How very Canadian of Captain Epic!

And yes, I realize the Canadian Shield was Canadian too, but it’s not his show. ;)

I’d love to see Epic eventually have to deal with fame. Actually, there are a lot of character and story arcs I’m hoping will show up. There’s a lot of great stuff and a lot of potential in this production!

February 9, 2008 at 6:49 pm
(5) That's me says:

I feel that Omni, Kim and Val story archs still have a lot of potential for development, but I really enjoy the Brood characters potential back-story.

February 10, 2008 at 12:44 pm
(6) Marilyn says:

Oh yeah, Brood’s backstory could be fantastic. “Moody teenager through the ages” puts a funny spin on the sort of flashbacks that usually show up in vampire stories like Buffy and Angel (… and maybe Forever Knight? I can’t remember right now if Toronto’s homegrown vampire-cop show used flashbacks).

I hope they do a lot more with Kim. At this point, while I love the idea of having an admin assistant as part of the team, I don’t feel like it’s paying off as well as it could be. Yet.

Now, time for me to go vote in week two of the Hero Challenge!